Many of us love to cook. The joy of preparing and seasoning a dish just right so everyone has a happy smile as they taste your food. Not everyone loves spending a lot of time in the kitchen though. If you are having a dinner party you don't want to spend all that time preparing your food so much time that you can't actually enjoy watching your quests eat it.
With that in mind companies have devised many different ways to help us in the kitchen and developed a whole load of gadgets that speed up the preparation process, one such gadget is the food blender You may however read lots of complaints about blenders and how useless they are with many not working at all or being too fragile and breaking after only a few uses. The problem isn't the blenders however, it's what people expect their blenders to do.
Hi I'm Jeff a semi-pro chef that has spent the last 15 years working in commercial kitchens preparing food for people on a daily basis. Now before you all work your self up I did say semi-pro and this because I have now left the catering industry after an accident meant it was too difficult to work in a professional kitchen. The help pass the time I have decided to try and build some websites and pass on my experiences with the gadgets I use today, have used in the past or intend to use in the future. Unfortunately I won't be discussing the gadgets I used in professional kitchens as most of these would be a little overkill in the home kitchen.
What Can A Blender Do?
A blender can do just about anything you want it to, it can crush ice, make a smoothie or cocktails, produce silky smooth soups or chunky salsas, it can prepare food smooth enough for babies to eat, it can whisk egg whites into perfect peaks for that show stopper baked Alaska pudding. So with such a versatile gadget why so many complaints and why with only a little research you will find so many reviews talking about how their blender broke after only a few uses. The answer is simple, although a blender can crush ice perfectly for a great cocktails that same blender will be pretty poor and producing smooth baby food. Although your blender may be wonderful and putting a shin on your glossy Gazpacho the motor may not be strong enough to take a solid piece of Parmigiano Reggiano and reduce it down to a fine powder. A single blender will never do everything you want it to do but some will come close such as the Vitamix. This is where food-blender.com will come in and help you choose what is the best blender for the task you would like it do and provide the best food blender reviews you will read.
What To Look For In A Blender
Before understanding exactly what each blender is best at you first need to work out what will the blender be used for the majority of the time? For example If you want a blender that will be providing you with a health smoothie every morning then you don't need a 350watt countertop blender and maybe an immersion blender would be a little messy for you. However a personal sized blender would be ideal for those small on the go healthy drinks but that blender won't give you fantastic soups. I have provided a list here of the main areas for consideration when you are looking to buy a blender, I have written a more in depth page on how to choose a blender.
- Your needs of the blender - As mentioned above
- The Power - Cooked Broccoli and carrots don't need the same amount of watts as an ice crusher
- Volume - How much end product do you want? A load of soup or a one shot smoothie!
- Performance - In my experience the all singing all dancing blenders are those that cause problems. It would be idea to get a 16 speed 450watt blender that could crush ice and purée your babies food but the reality is the higher the more jobs you want your blender to do the more problems you will have with it.
- Design - Your kitchen size will determine how large a glass jar blender you will have sitting on the worktops but you should consider the designs of immersion blenders as well. Some will have a grip so big those with smaller hands will find it uncomfortable to use.
- Features - There is always a new feature added to blenders pulsing, heating element for making soup and blending, volume style speed controls. All wonderful but again only if you need them for the majority of the time you will be using the blender.
- Extras - We all like a free extra but just ask is it really free or do I need it to help use the blender? For example a blender that whisks egg whites would be no good without a balloon whisk so it's not really an extra is a necessity to that blender unit.
- Price - We all want a bargain but if you have a specific task to do with your blender then sometimes we need to pay for it. Ranging from $15 upwards of a few hundred the price range is vast and although it should be considered when looking to buy a blender the price should be compared to the rest of the things on this list and not an indication of the quality alone.
Finding The Best Food Blender For You
There are essentially two types of food blender The countertop blenders and immersion blenders. For the purposes of this website however I am breaking the countertop blender into two, your standard countertop blenders and your personal sized blenders. The reason for this is although the design of the personal size countertop blenders is the same as a stander glass jar type blender they are not even in the same category when it comes to what they can do. Comparing one against the other here would be a waste of time.
Best Overall Blender
Best Blender For Smoothies
Some Of the Recent Food Blender Reviews
This Breville blender was"commercially inspired" but to understand what that actually means to you the home kitchen user read this review.
This is a personal favorite of mine as it lets you take your drink to go. It's great for fruit smoothies, icy drinks, shakes, and so much more but for me having it blend in the cup I drink it from is a real time saver.
Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Blender Review
This blender has gone through it all and come out the other side. It now stands as the classic hand blender and will probably be found in more kitchens than any other blender. Be warned though it does have it's problems, Read the review to find out what they are!
Miallegro 9090 Mitutto Immersion Blender Review
With all the accessories included with this immersion blender it does it all, chops, mixes, grinds, blends, whisks, whips, and froths and with a 550 watt motor it will work pretty hard for you doing the things other immersion blender can't like crush ice.